Toddler Screams When Helping Mommy Vacuum, She Sends Out Crucial Warning To All Parents
Cailyn Finkel 3/15/2017
As a parent, it's a wonderful thing when your little one wants to help out around the house! Even as a toddler, it's important to learn how to clean up after yourself and keep the home tidy.
So when Jade Bishop's adorable 16-month-old son Theo began to wander behind her as she vacuumed, Jade encouraged it! She thought it was great Theo showed an interest in cleaning.
Never in her wildest imagination did she think something like this was going to happen to her precious little boy....
At first, Jade was reluctant to share what happened to Theo in fear that judgemental parents would deem her a neglectful parent, but then reason took over.
If her story could prevent the same thing from happening to other children, she didn't care what rude people had to say. We're so glad she wrote this Facebook post warning other parents about the dangers vacuum cleaners pose on children.
The following post has been edited for the sake of understanding.
"So I wasn't going to post this for a few reasons, mainly the criticism from people and the fact that I felt like the world's worst mom, but it appears to be a lot more common than I ever realized!
I just want people to realize the dangers of children and vacuum cleaners!
My little man, being the inquisitive 16-month-old he is, loves to follow me around while I vacuum up the house. Yep, no big deal! He even pushes it and helps me occasionally!
So I turn the vacuum off and turn my back to unplug it from the wall. Then I hear Theo turn it back on, turn my head to hear him screaming! I yank the plug from the wall and he has managed to put his thumb in the bottom of the dyson where the bristles spin at a crazy speed."
"I go to him quicker than I ever have to see he's got a nasty looking burn on his hand!
I get him straight to the minor injuries unit (crying my eyes out and panicking) thinking we would be dressed, bandaged and sent on our way to heal!
But no, we are referred to Bristol Children's Hospital to see burn specialists and plastic surgeons the next day. He has a fourth-degree burn and possibly exposed tendons.
They are now talking about possibilities of skin grafts, surgery and nasty scarring with restricted movement as he grows. His burn is cleaned and redressed every three days and he has an appointment with specialists weekly!
All of this from no longer than five seconds of having his thumb in that vacuum. Please, please, please do not let your children near the vacuum cleaners!
After talking with my nurse and her telling me just how common this kind of burn is, it makes you realize that:
1. I'm not the world's worst mom
2. We are not the first and we won't be the last
But making people aware of it could stop just one more tiny finger or thumb from ending up like this!"
Although this has been a traumatizing experience for Jade and Theo, there is one up side of the whole thing! At the end of each burn treatment, Theo gets a balloon, and it's his favorite part of going to the doctor's office.
Jade is far from the worst mother in the world - she's actually a guardian angel whose words can hopefully prevent a horrific injury like this from happening again!
Sources: Facebook/Jade Bishop / FB Image Credit: Facebook/Jade Bishop