Little Boy Feels Pain While Eating Hamburger, Hours Later X-Ray Reveals Startling Information
Cailyn Finkel 3/28/2017
With summer right around the corner, many of us are eager to take the cover off the grill and start cooking outdoors.
But before you jump into nightly grilling, family barbeques and neighborhood get togethers, there's a hidden danger that everyone needs to know about. It all has to do with how you clean your grill!
The following story contains information important to everyone . . .
Someone who realized this danger firsthand is Anthony Fiore. Like most American families, the Fiores were thrilled to break out the grill and cook up a couple of hamburgers when the first signs of spring appeared!
Before the threw the patties on the grill, Anthony's mother, Nadia, cleaned it off with their family's trusty stainless steel bristle brush. Within minutes the grill was sparkling clean and ready for the burgers.
However, just moments after chomping down, Anthony felt a tickle in his throat - then the tickle turned into sharp pain. Nadia knew something was seriously wrong.
Anthony was visibly uncomfortable and the pain worsened by the minute. That's when Nadia decided to rush her son to the emergency room - she wasn't going to take any chances.
The panicked young man was fast-tracked to the x-ray room where doctors discovered a small sliver of metal lodged in his throat. It was a piece of the metal brush bristle, and if it moved any further into his body, organs could be punctured leading to more serious complications.
He was ushered into emergency surgery to remove the bristle before it broke loose and, luckily for Anthony, the surgery was successful. He wasn't out of the woods yet, though.
Days after the surgery was complete, Anthony developed a serious infection due to the dirty bristle. After a heavy round of antibiotics and close medical attention, the infection cleared up and he was free to leave the hospital.
Anthony's story is more common than you might think. Dr. Aziz Benbrahim, a general surgeon at MidState Medical Center, sees cases like this all the time, and some are more dangerous than others.
Dr. Benbrahim spoke to CBS News about a recent case where a man came into the emergency room after weeks of severe chest and stomach pain. An x-ray showed a piece of metal brush bristle punctured his stomach and caused other serious damage.
The doctor explained to CBS News about what he and his team were forced to do when they discovered the bristle.
"I had to open him up completely. Then we remove this wire and we found out also why he had chest pain -- because he also had pulmonary embolism, which is a blood clot in his lungs.
He was just lucky he was still alive. All from this wire."
This is a problem Dr. Benbrahim believes is an unspoken nationwide nightmare. He told CBS News just how hard it is to track cases like Anthony's - despite doctors' familiarity with it.
"Nobody knows the statistics, that's the problem. The only paper published talks about six or seven cases and I believe it's a much, much more common.
When I was talking to my colleagues at the hospital, I was surprised that all of them had at least one or two patients like this. I didn't think it was that common. And this isn't a very big hospital, so I assume that in a bigger hospital they would have more."
Thankfully Anthony spoke to his mother about his symptoms before it turned into a full-blown medical tragedy.
Learn more about Anthony's frightening brush bristle experience in the video below.
Has this happened to you or someone you know? Share your stories in the Facebook comments section.