Researchers Find Strong Link Between Birth Order And Personality - Here's The Evidence
LifeAspire Staff 5/26/2017
Are you the first born in the family who complains of having a tougher childhood than your younger siblings? Maybe you are the middle born who always felt lost and ignored in the family. Or perhaps the youngest who is spoiled silly!?
Well, for all those who have ever wondered if there is any truth to these mysteries around how personalities are affected by birth order, researchers might have some interesting news.
If you are the first born in the family, then you've spent considerable time being the center of attention. You've also spent a lot of time learning to play alone or be the only kid around a lot of adults. For the parents, you are also their first experiment in parenthood with most time spent one on one.
All of these common experiences for the first child, results in some common personality traits like being bossy, controlling, perfectionist, motivated, and fussy! These qualities in addition to having responsibilities early on from being the older sibling also makes them good leaders and cautious risk takers.
Growing up in the shadow of the first born and the perpetual babying of the youngest, middle siblings tend to grow up in an interesting environment where parents are no longer nervous and have developed a specific parenting style. They also have the benefit of having an older sibling to copy as well as being a role model to the next sibling that comes along.
As such, their personalities tend to be more social and include characteristics of being peacemakers, adaptable, and independent. They are also know to be attention seekers and people-pleasers since their place in the middle makes for less attention from parents and family. The same can explain why middle borns can be the most rebellious since proving a point and making a mark is of great importance to them.
The youngest sibling is often considered to be the one who just gets thrown into the mix! Parents by now have the least amount of time to spend one on one, but at the same time are happy to take this last opportunity to spoil a child and baby them longer than necessary.
Some of the most common personality traits of the last born include being uncomplicated, fun, self-centered, free spirited, and outgoing. They can easily manipulate others with their easy going charm and take full advantage of having the freedom to explore the world without the constant supervision of parents.
People who grow up as an only child tend to share many of the same traits as that of the first borns, however with the added reality of the parents never truly having to divide their attention and resources between other siblings. They also have to be good at entertaining themselves and attracting company of others.
Only children tend to be very confident, responsible, well-organized, diligent, and a bit mature for their age because they spend a lot of time around other adults. They are naturally used to being the center of attention and as such are more sensitive when things don't go their way.
All of these characteristics tend to help us shed light on just how the environment shapes our personalities in addition to the DNA that makes up our bodies. Here are some other really interesting facts regarding birth order:
- Did you know that some of the most famous newscasters and TV talk show hosts like Oprah, Rush Limbaugh, and Peter Jennings are all firstborns or only-children? Statistically positions of authority in the society is also held mostly by first borns.
- Even though parents tend to love all their children equally, they relate most to the child who fits the same social order in which they themselves grew up!
- Twins don't really follow a birth order per say, but in the Western world researchers have noticed that the bigger of the two tends to take on the role of the first born.
- This probably doesn't come as a surprise, but since the last borns have the least amount of limits and supervision they tend to take the riskiest choices of all the siblings.
- Some of the most famous first borns include Issac Newton, FDR, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, and Beyonce Knowles.
- Some of the most famous middle children include Princess Diana, MLK Jr, Donald Trump, and Bill Gates.
- Some of the most famous only children include Natalie Portman, Tiger Woods, Alicia Keys, and Maria Sharapova.
For all of us who are always on the quest to figure out why we are the way we are, we hope this story provided some very interesting insights. It is fascinating also to see how our personality is a tug between our natural abilities dictated by our DNA and our social upbringing dictated by our environment.
And hey, not that we needed a reason, but at least now we know why some of us tend to naturally gravitate towards our oldest sibling for advice, and why our youngest one is a free spirited bohemian artist living in Italy!
Sources: Personality Buzz, Fact Retriever Facebook Image Source: Facebook/Goodluck Peter