Son Has Pain In His Gums, Mom Stunned To Find Nails Buried Deep
LifeAspire Staff 5/26/2017
When mom Sara Guidry peered closely at her son Kale's mouth, she spied something strange buried in his gums. But since her son appeared to be in pain and extreme discomfort, she poked around with tweezers. What she pulled out of Kale's mouth was astounding.
There are many reasons for people to not bite their nails, but Sara presses upon all parents to push their children to stop the bad habit. That's because of what she found buried in her own son's gums.
She shared the experience on Facebook in the hopes of warning other parents about the hazards of nail biting.
"I get a tweezer and pull it. It looked like a finger nail. I continued to pull 4 more out. I then search his mouth and find another area. I pulled around 27 out of the second spot. YES 27!"
How on earth did Kale end up with 32 fingernails buried in his gums? The dentist had an answer, but it's a weird one. Even the dentist was shocked.
"We figured out that Kale bites his nails and plays with them in his mouth. He pushes them up towards his pallet. The nail penetrates the skin and goes into a pocket between the baby teeth and permanent teeth. Don't let your children bite their nails!"
Parents who have learned about this odd fingernail phenomenon have shared Sara's video more than 233,000 and contributed more than a whopping 95,000 comments.
Nail biting isn't usually so hazardous, but Sara warns parents to stop the habit, not just because of what happened to Kale, but the other dangers of nail biting.
This bad habit can lead to skin and nail infections, warts, torn and damaged gum tissue, mouth infections and dental issues. There also was a study published recently that uncovered an odd fact--that people who chronically bit their nails report a significantly higher quality of life impairment than those who do not.
If you or someone you know bites his or her nails, be sure to let them know the dangers of habit. There are even topical applications to put on fingernails to help prevent biting. Good luck!
Sources: Facebook/Sara Guidry, WTSP-TV, Good Housekeeping, FB Image Credit: Facebook/Sara Guidry