Mom Sends Daughter To Take Nap In Bedroom. 20 Minutes Later, Walks Into Her Worst Nightmare
LifeAspire Staff 8/3/2017
Jennifer Abma is a mom from Edmonton, Canada - who has two young daughters under the age of 3. On a recent summer day when the temperature was supposed to be in the 90s, Jennifer decided that the best thing to do was to keep her daughters inside the home.
But when she went to check on her napping daughter, she came face to face with one of the worst nightmares a parent could have.
Jennifer's older daughter Anastasia had put herself down for an afternoon nap in her bedroom. Jennifer, in the meantime, was close by but in a different part of the house and took the quiet to mean that her daughter was resting peacefully.
But when she went to check in on Anastasia, she found her room to be unbelievably hot. When she touched Anastasia's body it felt like it too was burning hot too. According to Jennifer:
"It felt like she had just been lit on fire. It was like walking into a sauna. I never realized a bedroom could do that to a kid."
Not many would believe that a bedroom is capable of getting so hot either. This was the Abma family's first summer in the house and even though they knew that the house didn't have air conditioning, the windows and curtains seemed to keep things sufficiently cool; until now that is.
According to Jennifer:
"When the rest of your house is cool you expect the whole house should be like that."
After trying desperately to wake up Anastasia from her sleep, a scared and shook-up Jennifer called 911 for help! The paramedics arrived shortly and confirmed that Anastasia had indeed suffered a heat stroke, as evident from her 104 body temperature and dangerously low blood sugars.
First aid was quickly administered by giving Anastasia a sugar dose orally and rubbing ice on her body. The difference could be seen within minutes when Anastasia finally woke up crying. After another 15 minutes, the paramedics saw the little girl's temperature fall and sugars rise to normal level.
For Jennifer, the incident proved life changing and she took to social media to let others know that suffering a heatstroke inside the home is a very real and scary possibility:
"Make sure you are checking the rooms in your house because they can be as dangerous as a hot car ... She was minutes from death. If they were 10 to 15 minutes later I don't think she'd be here. For a kid to be out that long - I don't think she was going to come around."
Even though things turned out okay, Jennifer can't stop thinking about the alternative:
"I'm shook and I can't imagine what would have happened if I didn't go check on her."
Although Jennifer could have never predicted this to happen to her daughter, she warns others to check their children's bedrooms to prevent dealing with this incident. Jennifer's post has since been shared numerous times helping to spread the word.