No matter what parenting style one chooses to follow, from time to time we have all broken the rules and used food as bait to get young children to do (or not do) something. Especially when running errands, parents are guilty of using food as a distraction for the kids, in order to get their to-do list accomplished.
In no other place is this more evident than the grocery store where it doesn't quite help to be surrounded by all the tempting treats. Young children sitting in carts, snacking on something as the parents push them around the store is a very common sight indeed.
One couple in Detroit, Michigan however, who was out on a grocery run with their toddler, wants to share their personal story in order to warn all the parents and caretakers of a serious danger.
Emma Carver and Mohammad Umar were doing their weekly grocery run with their two-year-old son Ayyan Umar. Emma was in the dairy section looking at various cheeses while Ayyan sat in the shopping cart. That's when Ayyan grabbed two whole grapes without his mom's knowledge, and stuck them in his mouth.
This is when the unthinkable happened. Emma later told WXYZ that she heard a choking sound and turned around to find Ayyan unable to breath because he had choked on the grapes he had taken from the cart:
"I even threw the cheese down and I started banging on him. But it wasn't getting it out, so it had to be lodged."
Nothing Emma did was helping Ayyan who continued to struggle to breath. A fellow shopper, having witnessed Emma's panic, immediately called 911 while another shopper tried to perform CPR. It all felt so wild as Ayyan's father Mohammad recalled to WXYZ:
"I was feeling like maybe it was a bad dream, maybe somebody gonna wake me up. He sleeps on my chest. I see him everywhere."
EMS arrived within 5-7 minutes and continued the attempt to dislodge the grapes from Ayyan's throat. By the time they got one grape out, Ayyan already seemed to have passed. An ambulance quickly took him to the hospital where a second grape was found still lodged in Ayyan's throat.
A mundane trip had turned tragic all because of grapes, which can be very dangerous for a child to eat whole. Emma and Mohammad paid a high price to learn a lesson of keeping such hazardous foods away from toddlers - and also the dangers of small children eating without supervision.
According to the news station, Emma is encouraging others to take a first-aid course - which they themselves are signed up to do.
Here is the heartbreaking story, shared with the hope that it is never repeated!